To help you avoid last minute problems, take a look at our checklist below to ensure a smooth and easy move to Chateaux DiJon. We've also compiled a list of helpful moving resources in our local area to make searching for moving resources as easy and painless as possible.
Two months before
- Decide if you will use a moving company or move yourself. If you decide to hire a mover, get at least three estimates.
- Create a file for your moving papers and receipts.
- Make a home inventory list and start to remove clutter.
Six weeks before
- Have a moving sale or donate items to charities.
- Select a mover then make arrangements and inquire about insurance coverage.
- Complete change of address cards at the post-office or use an online service.
- Obtain copies of all medical and dental records. Find quality medical professionals and hospitals in your new location. Your current providers may be able to provide you with some referrals. Print a medical ID card for each person that is moving.
- Obtain school records, pet records, legal and any other financial documents.
Four weeks before
- If you are moving yourself, get moving boxes and supplies.
- Begin packing anything you will not be using before moving day. Make sure to mark every box and carton, listing only general content information.
- Contact your insurance agent to find out about insurance coverage related to your pending move.
- Make any necessary travel plans.
- Contact your insurance company to arrange for coverage in your new home.
- If you are moving to a new state, contact your insurance carrier to have your policies transferred to an agent near your new home.
- Make a list of items you will need to buy for the new apartment.
- Notify your state's Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Arrange special transport for your pets and plants.
- Schedule maintenance check for your car.
One week before
- Contact all utilities, cable, newspaper, and trash collection companies for disconnection at your old address and connection at your new address.
- If you plan to use a moving company, contact them and review the arrangements for your move. Supply detailed instructions along with emergency numbers.
- Cancel or transfer memberships.
- Fill any prescriptions you may need over the next few weeks.
Two or three days before
- Defrost refrigerators and freezers.
- Disconnect all major appliances.
- Pack overnight kit - sheets, towels, toiletries, phone, alarm clock, change of clothes and a flashlight.
- Pack a survival kit - scissors, utility knife, water, snacks, paper plates, plastic utensils, paper towels, toilet paper, soap, pencil and paper, tape, trash bags, aspirin, bandages, antiseptic and gauze.
- Drain oil and/or gas from any mowers, heaters, etc.
- Be available to answer any questions your mover may have.
- Do not leave until your movers are finished and take a final look to see if you have forgotten anything.
- Complete the bill of lading carefully, reading all documents and inventory sheets before signing. Keep a copy in your file until the move is complete and bills are paid.
At final destination
- Oversee the unloading of your items and account for each box. Check carefully for any damaged or missing items.
- Instruct the mover where to put specific boxes.
- Upon completion, pay what is owed to the mover.
- Unpack the overnight essentials and survival kits.